- Product: Yarra Yering Dry Red Wine No. 2
- Formats available: 750 ml
- Raw materials: 95.5% Shiraz, 2.5% Mataro, 1.5% Viognier, 0.5% Marsanne
- Vinification: Fruit was hand-picked in the cool of the morning, destemmed & partially crushed directly to the traditional Yarra Yering “tea chest” half-tonne capacity open-fermenters. Stalks were added back to two-thirds of the fermenters in order to contribute structure and aroma. Fermentation initiated naturally and was supplemented with a select cultured yeast strain part-way through fermentation to ensure completion. All 100% destemmed fermenters and some with added stalks were pressed after 7 – 10 days to complete fermentation in barrel in order to retain aroma & purity of vineyard expression. The remainder were allowed to macerate for a further 1 – 2 weeks to draw additional tannin and structure from extended skin/stalk contact. The resultant wines were aged for 21 months in 100% French oak barriques, 50% new, 50% 2 years old. Medium toast is favoured for these fire-bent barrels, with toasted heads a stylistic feature. Bottled via gravity without filtration.
- Region: Yarra Valley (Gruyere)
- Average Of Vineyards: Fruit was sourced from amongst the original 1969 plantings on the Estate. The Shiraz and Marsanne established in 1969, plus additional Shiraz, Mataro & Viognier drawn from vines planted from 1984 to 1995; all unirrigated.
- Alcohol Content: 14.5 %
A perfect season which offered an opportunity to ripen & harvest fruit to perfection without the usual vagaries of season and undue extraneous climatic duress. Fruit was able to fully develop its signature vineyard expression.
Aroma: Fragrance & headiness to the fore, this wine exudes intense perfume, red fruits, floral notes & spice. The addition of Mataro & co-fermentation with white grapes Viognier & Marsanne intensify the Shiraz character while providing complexity, richness & generosity. Primary fruit leads onto savoury graphite & white pepper underpinned by stalkiness & concentrated meatiness.
Palate: A medium-bodied yet weighty & concentrated palate. This is not shrinking violet! Features a fresh, clean & detailed mouthfeel. Generous fruit plumpness, assertive tannins & crisp acidity are given additional volume by co-fermented Mataro & white varieties & support by juicy stalk tannins & crisp acidity are given to poise & length with fruit to flesh out over time.