- Product: Yarra Yering Dry Red Wine No. 1
- Formats available: 750 ml
- Raw materials: 65% Cabernet, 18% Merlot, 9% Malbec 8% Petit Verdot
- Vinification: All fruit at Yarra Yering is hand-picked and delivered direct to the winery. The fruit was destemmed & partially crushed directly to the traditional Yarra Yering “tea chest” 0.5-tonne capacity open-fermenters. Stalks were added back to about 40% of the fermenters to contribute subtle influence on structure and aroma. Fermentation initiated naturally and was supplemented with a select cultured yeast strain part-way through fermentation to ensure completion. One-third of the selected ferments were pressed after 5 days to complete fermentation in French oak barrels. The balance were allowed to macerate for varying amounts of time post-fermentation (maximum 3 weeks) to draw additional tannin and structure from extended skin contact. The resultant blend was aged for 21 months in 100% new French oak barriques. Medium-toast is favoured for these fire-bent barrels, with toasted heads featuring stylistically. Bottled via gravity without filtration.
- Region: Yarra Valley (Gruyere)
- Average Of Vineyards: Fruit was sourced from the original 1969 plantings on the Estate; all established on own roots & unirrigated.
- Alcohol Content: 13.0 %
A perfect season which offered an opportunity to ripen & harvest fruit to perfection without the usual vagaries of season and undue extraneous climatic duress.Fruit was able to fully develop its signature vineyard expression.
Aroma: Stylish, lifted nose settling into itself after a few years in bottle. Shows signature blackberry, aniseed, sarsaparilla, marzipan & cassis with hints of bergamot & varietal herbal tones.
Palate: A medium-bodied “classic” claret style featuring a fleshy, fruit-layered palate integrated with earthy complexity. Juicy acidity, characteristic of this vineyard, underlays soft expansive fruit and fine dusty tannins. In true Yarra Yering tradition, it combines power with poise, concentration with finesse.